Monday, May 5, 2008

The art of naming

I've always been fascinated by words, and especially names. So I enjoy seeing what (and how and why) people name their art and crafts.

Sometimes color is the inspiration for names, like with the gorgeous, hand-spun yarn of kittygrrlz:


Buffy's Spring Fling




Bruised Heart
(She's got some other great names, too, like batt-tacular and surprise party.)



Sometimes names are literature or culture inspired.




Saltandpaper's Swiss Miss is one of my favorites, and the title and explanation make it all the more appealing. She says,"fairytale folk art, a little mountain chalet, berries, dark wood cuckoo clocks and a girl with ribboned braids inspired this one-of-a-kind piece."




I'm guessing this wonderful Wilder Things Ring by polyclarific was inspired by Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are. I love it.


Another naming strategy is the thought or moment in time.




Shellieartist uses this method a lot, like in this He Says I'm All Smiles.
(Other great titles of Shellie's are Searching for Answers and She Wore Beauty.)



And sometimes you just name it for what it is.




Mmmmm, pancakes!

As for me, I name my polymer clay canes rather than my items. Usually, each cane has its own name, but sometimes they come in sets - for instance, all of my black and white canes have been dubbed Cindy.


Sometimes a cane has a random name, like Danielle.


Sometimes a cane is named after an actual person the colors or patterns bring to mind, like Diane, named for my aunt.

How do you name your art?

2 comments:

T.Allen said...

What an interesting topic...I may expound upon in my own blog someday. I have an uncanny habit of tagging everything/one. It stemmed from being painfully shy. I would mentally transfer people into inanimate objects to ease communication. Often, in my creations, I will see these people or things/places connected to them- hence the names...

Anonymous said...

I think Cindy is an excellent name for just about anything, especially polymer clay canes!!! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails