Thursday, December 20, 2007

Land of Women

I just finished The Land of Women by Regina McBride. Why it took me 2 weeks to read 234 pages is anyone's guess, it seems I'm getting slow as I head toward middle-age. Anyway, although this novel was about a mother and daughter and their lovers, to me this novel was really about sewing, specifically fabric. Mother Jane and daughter Fiona are both seamstresses, and their passion for their crafts rivals, and sometimes even outweighs, their passion for their men. The writing is eloquent, and the descriptive passages actually remind me of silks and cottons and patterns and colors.


What do our characters sew? They sew dresses, and reading this book made me think of all of wonderful hand-sewn dresses by the talented people on etsy. Here a just a few favorites I found today.




Singin' the blues about gold dress by 1MaddieAndMe
(and this one is reversible!)


Schoolgirl dress by reddoll


Mariana Dress by colorada


Holiday in Red dress by willarie

I love dresses and fabrics, which is ironic, since I can't sew at all. Not. At. All. Enjoy the handmade dresses on etsy. Treat yourself to a one-of-a-kind piece of clothing handmade with love!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks so much for noticing my Mariana dress. The other dresses are adorable too! Love your blog :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails