Tuesday, November 16, 2010

douglas wambaugh, appearing for the defendant

I watched this - season one of Picket Fences. Adorable and fabulous! This was a 90's show about a family in the small town of Rome, Wisconsin. First of all, there should be more shows set in Wisconsin, right? Are there any others besides this one and That 70s Show?

Picket Fences isn't overly realistic, plot-wise. For instance, one of the main characters, the doctor who has her own practice and is a surgeon, seems to treat everyone and everything, from surgery to meds to psychology. Then again, she's a very cool character. And then there's the elementary-school-aged kid who plays the trombone a little too well.

This show explores issues wonderfully and intelligently, though, and the characters have some depth. I find the character of Douglas Wambaugh, played by Fyvush Finkel, absolutely delightful. He marches into the courtroom regularly to defend the downtrodden, misunderstand and disciminated-against. I also love the grouchy judge, played by Ray Walston. And now I'm wondering, though I don't remember it happening, if this show might have helped me become the liberal thinker that I am. I mean, something had to affect me that way, right? Hmmm.

I'm looking forward to watching the next 3 seasons, but at the moment the netflix queue has Northern Exposure, Mad Men and Charmed next. We'll see.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails